Monday, October 03, 2005

One more month has passed and now the year is officially 1/6th over. At times saying that makes it seem like my time here is almost over and at times it seems like we've only begun. I just got back from our midterm conference in Mekesheim and, to be honest, it doesn't seem like we've been here long enough for that. It was really good though to hear about other placements and realize that I'm not the only person who, at the same time, struggles with and loves the life I have here. It also got me excited about some of the possibilities for my next placement. I think the main excitement stems from people talking about how wonderful of a cook their host mother is. I'm quite certain that they don't compare to my own mother but I'm also quite certain that they are worlds better than me. Some of the work also sounds like fun and hopefully I can land myself on a farm here and get back to the work I grew up with.

Mekesheim is a short train ride outside of Heidelberg and so one of the afternoons we took off and went into town to see the castle, church, people, river, stores, beggars, and all the other tourist attractions. It was raining but we decided to brave it anyway and after ariving in Heidelberg, went as a group up the mountian to the castle where we got a wonderful view of the fog that was covering the city. It was still fun to be there, however, and after that the group split. A few of us decided not to pay the €1.50 to take a tour of the castle that we wouldn't understand anyway so we started exploring some of the other ruins outside and, upon tiring of that, we followed the exit signs out. I don't know what the rules for exit signs are in Europe but I do know that they didn't lead us out. As we went, we began noticing that doors were locking behind us and it seemed that we were going deeper into the castle. Eventually we found ourselves in a passage that, if we went straight, would lead us into what we think was the dungeon, or, if we turned left, would lead us into a courtyard. We chose the courtyard and after waveing to the tourists standing at the top of the wall, proceeded to find an exit. Our proceedings failed and we realized that we were trapped. Eventually someone on top of the wall realized that we weren't supposed to be there and told security. They came looking for us and gave us a stern lecture in German. I think they were telling us not to follow exit signs but I can't really be sure. It was fun while it lasted though, and now I can say that I have passed through the embattlements of a castle and invaded it without anyone else knowing. How many people have done that?

The rest of the weekend was fun as well. We sang and talked and played rook and had a grand old time. Then it was time to re-enter real life and here I am. It's monday and it's a holiday. I cleaned out my kitchen before I left so that food wouldn't spoil and now all the stores are closed. Oh well...after all the food I ate this weekend it won't hurt me to eat meager for a day.

Enjoy what you have and make the most of it while you have it.

Courage and wisdom
David

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it that you classify the beggars as tourist attractions. Did you see the enormous wine barrel in Heidelberg?

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home