Friday, September 02, 2005

I have often heard the old addage that says, "Those who God will destroy, He first must make proud." This week I have found out that the exact opposite is even more true. Those who God will build up, He first must break. I appoligize for the last post, it was a little different from the normal reporting of life here but perhaps I'm appologizing because it's a little closer to the truth than I really enjoy sharing. This first month has been very difficult. When I read that God will never make us bear more than we can handle, I now read it that he may let us get very close. This first month has been very close. God IS good, however, and before it was more than I could bear he has began relieving my burden. The lament of the faithful really does get answered.

Last wednesday I attended a bible study of several college age singles in the area. I didn't understand much of what we talked about but it was really good to be in the presence of good Christian friends. Today I enrolled in a German class that meets every tuesday and thursday nights that starts next week. This sunday I have been invited in the afternoon to an international student gathering at the home of one of our staff members. I won't say that I am incredibally busy yet but my free time is finally coming to a manageable level. I have gotten used to having hours to lay on my bed and listen to music and now that this time is disappearing I think I actually might miss it somewhat. It's very good to be making new friends and finding activities though. God truly is good.

Some of you have left me comments and to this point I haven't really bothered to respond very well. I would ask, however, that if you leave me a comment, please sign your name to it so I know who to respond to. Some of you are quite good at that and some....well....aren't. So here goes:

I don't know the prices of fuel exactly. GAiN paid for all of that so I never really paid attention to price. I think that diesel is around 1€/liter (around US$4/gal) but I don't know the price of 'benzin' because I've never had to buy any.

The food is....well....I cook everything myself so I really haven't experienced German food other than breakfast which consists mainly of processed meats and soft cheases. Neither of which I am a big fan of. Mainly what I eat with other people is good although most of the restaurants I've gone to are either Italian or what they call Mexican.

The german...well...isn't yet but my classes start on tuesday.

I haven't made any cultural faux pas yet (that I know of). The office that I work in has a lot of foreigners working in it so people are pretty forgiving and if I have done something really stupid, they haven't said anything which is unfortunate but unavoidable.

That's all for now folks. I guess the one main thing I have learned this week that I can share with you is don't give up. This too shall pass.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home