Tuesday, April 18, 2006

So I had my first German Easter this weekend. It was a little different from normal but not really in any way that I had expected. Basically that makes it just like everything else here that's different from home. The main differences that I noticed would have to be: 1. we did not sing "Christ the LORD is Risen Today" and 2. the service wasn't all that celebratory. Other than that it was fairly normal. They even have their own version of our little "The LORD is risen!....The LORD is risen indeed!" saying. Or at least I think that's what it was. I can't really be sure though.

I was in Gießen for the weekend and a good weekend it was. I did absolutely nothing, which is to say it was about like all the other weekends I have here. I've gotten to the point, however, where a weekend like that can still be called good and that's a good feeling. On sunday morning I was sitting in church waiting for it to start and an older couple sat down next to me. We got to talking and I find out that he's an animal nutritionist who lives just outside of town and works with all the local farmers. He invited me to come out sometime and visit the farms and see agriculture around Gießen. I didn't have time on that visit but next time I go back I certainly will make it. What I would have given to meet him the first month I was here!

The big news of the week, however, has to be that my resolve finally broke. I had been cracking for a while but last thursday I finally trimmed my beard. I have been cold ever since and these are nice, warm spring days. People keep asking me why I did it and, to be honest, right now I'm asking why I didn't do it sooner. I'm glad I didn't if only for the warmth factor but it's so nice not to have to take care of it all the time.

Work here continues on about the same. We finally finished planting and we only have 15 pigs left so soon it will change slightly but not that much. Samuel keeps demanding more of my attention. He likes spending time in my room and he likes playing with (read: destroying) things. His favorite are electrical gadgets (iPod, camera...) but fortunately I've managed to keep his hands off of those. I have a hard time disciplining him when we can't really communicate and his dad doesn't really do much either so it gets a little out of control at times. I know divorce is horrible for the children but it certainly is nice to be able to send him away every other week.

All in all my time here in Germany has been a wonderful experience. That said, it is very nice to think about having our spring retreat in a week and a half which means that the second term is half over. I've enjoyed it here but this isn't my home. I'm sure July will come too soon when it does but right now, I'm ready for it to come.

Love and warmth
David

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandi said...

Hi,

I was in Intermenno in 1998/99, in Hannover and Karlsruhe. I moved back to Germany in 2000 and have been living in Frankfurt ever since (well, except for the 2 years I lived in Gießen). I just wanted to say that I hope you're enjoying your time here; the weather's getting better, the WM is coming; there's no better place to be this summer.

Brandi

3:43 PM  
Blogger Illusional disfunction said...

heeeeeeello
so you're past the months post on updating. It's like you only update when you come to Giessen....

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home